Sunday, July 15, 2012

Christian Music: Psalm 61 - Matthew Ward


Mathew Ward with sisters Annie Herring and Nelly Greisen, spent the 1970's and early 80's performing together in a Christian Band they called 2nd Chapter Of Acts. 

In 1978 they released a live album with Christian Guitar Master and singer Phil Keaggy called How The West Was One.

Photo David Ball, 2nd Chapter Of Acts in Concert 1985
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/2nd-Chapter-of-Acts.jpg

According to wikipedia: "The album was culled from a series of 18 concerts held throughout the western United States in 1977." 

Mathew Ward, sometimes also called "The Wailer" because of his distinctive vocal style, sings a song on the album he co-wrote with pianist Richard Souther:  Psalm 61.

This is a stripped down version of the song they'd also recorded for a Ward solo album that had a more elaborate arrangement.

In this case, it's just Ward singing, accompanied by Souther on Piano.

Although this is a YouTube video...it is audio only.

So unless you're driving a car or operating heavy machinery...it'll be fine if you just close your eyes and sing along.


 
Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God;
Give heed to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to Thee when my heart is faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For Thou has been a refuge for me,
And a tower of strength against the enemy.
4 And let me dwell in Thy tent forever




 Share This!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful music. I just noticed that in the live piano version it's in Fm whereas the studio version with a few more instruments it is in Em. In either version, Matthew Ward's voice is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both versions of this song too. Interesting observation about the key. He is a very gifted singer and clearly could handle this song a half step higher so I wonder why it's in Em on the studio version. Thanks for commenting and God Bless!!

      Delete