Sunday, July 3, 2016

Uplifting Christian Song: B.J. Thomas - He's the Hand on My Shoulder (1979)


The "Music Only" Video Follows The Commentary Below

Public Domain Photo:  https://pixabay.com/en/ham-ninh-phu-quoc-vietnam-island-1050828/
Public Domain Photo:  https://pixabay.com/en/ham-ninh-phu-quoc-vietnam-island-1050828/


Hi!

BJ Thomas has a unique, powerful voice that many people might first associate with his 1969 pop hit "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head," from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, starring Robert Redford and Paul Newman. *


You might also recognize other pop songs he recorded like Hooked On A Feeling and (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, as well as many others he recorded in his heyday during the 60's and 70's.

A long time ago I read his book Home Where I Belong and in it he wrote candidly about his struggles with addiction and alcoholism and how he almost destroyed his marriage and himself.

The beginning of his story is not unlike those that many stars go through, often with fatal results, but Thomas' life was spared when he became a Christian in 1975 and found not only eternal life but also earthly salvation from drugs and alcohol.


"In 1976, Thomas released Home Where I Belong ... the first of several gospel albums. It was the first Christian album to go platinum, and Thomas became the biggest contemporary Christian artist of the period."

Today I'll post a great song from that first Christian album called "He's the Hand On My Shoulder."

The video embedded below is "music only" but you'll find the lyrics underneath it.

Thanks for stopping by!

May this song Bless you and fill you with God's love!





B.J. Thomas - He´s the Hand on My Shoulder - Lyrics

He's the hand on my shoulder
When I need to know someone cares
He's the hand on my shoulder
Assuring me that He's always there

He's the voice in the silence
That sounds so sweet and so clear
He's the voice in the silence
Telling me that He's always near

So there's no need for me to worry
When things aren't going quite so smooth
'Cause just as long as I put my trust in Him
He will always see me through

He's the light in the darkness
Shining through bright as day
He's the light in the darkness
Guiding me each step of the way

He's the hand on my shoulder
When I need to know someone cares
He's the hand on my shoulder
Assuring me that He's always there


-------------------------------------------------------

*  Information in this post, such as dates, album information, and song and movie titles and actor's names, was quoted or paraphrased from a Wikipedia entry on BJ Thomas (see link below), as well as from personal recollections.

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._J._Thomas





1 comment:

  1. His unmistakable voice is fit to sing Christian songs=RIP Bro. BJ in
    Rock n'Roll Heaven....

    ReplyDelete