Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Awesome Gospel Music: Linda Gibson-Johnson - I Got Saved In The Old Time Way


Psalm 150:1-6 (NIV)

1 Praise the Lord.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with timbrel * and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord.

-------------------------------------

An ancient percussion instrument similar to a tambourine.
Jean II Restout - 1732 - PentecĂ´te (Pentecost) - Public Domain
------------------------------------------

Laying On Hands - Public Domain
Hello!

Years ago I attended a little church that had an amazing music team led by a woman who sang and pounded out up-tempo, and slower, spirit-filled, gospel songs on a piano.

I've always loved that sound and recently I've started finding music on YouTube that is in that vein...and it's been such a Blessing to me!

As mentioned in a recent post (Joseph Larson singing Didn't I walk On The Water), one of them is a gospel/pentecostal, singer/piano player named Linda Gibson Johnson.  For some reason it is VERY hard to find much about her on-line...but I believe she's still living and ministering...though there is little to no other information I can find about her. (* Please see update)

But this woman can really sing and play!! (continued below update)

--------------

(* Update:  Linda Gibson Johnson is very much alive and still ministering!  Please see my 4-5-14 post for more information.

You'll now find updated contact information for her below as well.)

--------------

(Continued)  --  WARNING:  A word to those who like the soft and gentle, synthesizer driven, reverb drenched, "church rock" that has become so popular of late...Linda Gibson-Johnson sounds more like a young, "on fire, sanctified and blood bought" Janis Joplin...and her music may make you want to tap your toes or even *gulp* get up and dance before the Lord! :)

WHEW!

Azuza Street Spiritual Awakening 1906 - Public Domain

So if you're like me and don't mind a little "Holy Rolling" when you praise and worship God, you'll feel BLESSED by her music

The video I'll post below is from her "live" CD Tear Off The Roof...and she does!

The song is called, "I Got Saved In The Old Time Way"! a

You'll find the lyrics below.

----------------------------------

So without further ado...here's the video...enjoy!






Psalm98 (NIV)
A psalm.
1 Sing to the Lord a new song,
for he has done marvelous things;
his right hand and his holy arm
have worked salvation for him.
2 The Lord has made his salvation known
and revealed his righteousness to the nations.
3 He has remembered his love
and his faithfulness to Israel;
all the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.
4 Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
5 make music to the Lord with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn—
shout for joy before the Lord, the King.
7 Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it.
8 Let the rivers clap their hands,
let the mountains sing together for joy;
9 let them sing before the Lord,
for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
and the peoples with equity.

--------------------------------------------------------


"I Got Saved In The Old Time Way" Lyrics
by Candy Hemphill Christmas and Mike Sykes


Well I went to a Tabernacle,
Just to see what I could see,
Oh, I thought that I would have some fun,
But something happened to me,


Those people they were rejoicin’,
And they were clappin’ their hands,
I felt a hunger rise up in my soul,
I didn’t understand,


Chorus:  And I got saved,
In the old time way,
Oh, From my head down to my feet,
I was changed,
Didn’t care who saw me,
Or what they might say,
I got saved in the old time way,


Oh, The preacher he started preachin’,
About the power in the blood,
They were the sweetest words I’d ever heard,
And I was sorry for all I done,


Oh, I headed for the altar,
Something hit me on the way,
And somewhere in the saw-dust,
I got saved,
(Chorus)
Now I'm shoutin' the victory,
'Cause now I’m sanctified,
I got fire down in my bones,
And I’d like to testify,
Hey, I once was lost,
Now I’m found,
Jesus is the way,
Hey, Glory, Hallelujah,
I got saved
(Chorus)
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Contact Linda Gibson-Johnson, for CD's and ministry information:


"Where There's Smoke..." Music Ministries
P.O. Box 3029
Sizerock, Kentucky 41762


-------------------------------------------------------- 
Thank you for stopping by!
 
Glod Bless! 
 

9 comments:

  1. I ordered a cd from there and my check cleared back in March and i still havent recieved a cd ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      For some reason I didn't receive notice that you had made a comment here and just found your note. I'm sorry to hear that you have not received your CD yet.

      I exchanged e-mail with Linda Gibson-Johnson around the time I wrote this post...and she said she was back-ordered on some CD's.

      Later she wrote and asked if I had ordered a CD...and said something had gone wrong with her mail delivery. This is a quote:

      "..…did you ever send a letter to my address with a cd request? Some of my mail was compromised…it had been going on for about four months and I had no idea until about a week ago. If you sent anything, just let me know what and/or how much it was and I’ll take care of it. Thanks!"

      So I'd recommend that you write and explain that you sent a check and didn't receive your order yet.

      If you don't hear anything from her...please let me know and I will remove her address information from any posts I've written about her ministry.

      Again...I'm sorry to hear about this!

      God Bless!

      Delete
  2. Hey, jephyr Can you email me at swearenginfirefighter2617@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please contact Sister to Sister. SISTER DIANE at 16062331583. She is trying to get you for Sister to Sister as well as your husband this year please contact her asap
    You can messenger or text her. They have made many attempts to get hold of you. I come a long way for this event and I am looking foward to hearing you both. You are the rare perso that i love to here the God on you is profound not just sing just your conversation and prayer. I was glad to have met you at the last one back in them woods at Sister to sister. I hate woods and I will go long as you all come
    Lol i am the woman that told you i worked at TD Jakes . Indeed is so and this year i am buying one of every tape so bring them all. Please contact Sister Diane shes been trying so hard to get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister linda gibson johnson's email is wheretheresssmokemm@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. MAJOR UPDATE:
    She is still going: she was last at the Dallas, North Carolina Church of God in Gastonia county.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TquT_vrEcYM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack! I used to get email updates when someone posted a comment here...but for some reason stopped getting them and so have missed a lot of comments.

      Anyway thanks for the link...I'm watching the video right now.

      God Bless you!

      Delete
  5. Would love for her to come to Fort Polk, Louisiana and sing for the soldiers and their families down here in the deep south!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The last address I had for her was back in 2013 but have seen recent information about her still ministering.

      Try:

      "Where There's Smoke..." Music Ministries
      P.O. Box 3029 Sizerock
      Kentucky 41762

      or the the email listed above.

      God Bless

      Delete